Opening Minds has been undergoing an exciting phase of redesign over the summer and we are now ready to unveil our plans for how we hope to engage a greater number of schools in real curriculum innovation.
A 2012 literature review carried out by the RSA provided evidence of the worldwide demand for a rigorous, competency-based education. Additionally, recent DfE announcements and hints about the future of the national curriculum from 2014 (and the space to develop a ‘whole curriculum’ outside the national curriculum) are predicted to be a key moment of opportunity for RSA Opening Minds to influence practice.
With these in mind, we have been looking at ways that we can reach ever more schools on a variety of levels. Our new approach will consist of three key areas of support available to schools; a toolkit resource, a range of Opening Minds training centred within a single training school, and a national programme of continued professional development for teachers and senior leaders around innovative curriculum design, incorporating a range of models including Opening Minds.
1. An RSA Opening Minds Training Centre, based at RSA Academy Tipton, and led in partnership with other OM Training Schools. This Training Centre would act as a consultancy and CPD hub for schools who wish to implement OM across their school, and as an emerging ‘community of practice’ for schools wishing to innovate collaboratively to take OM practice further. Please contact Lesley James at RSA Academy Tipton with any queries and your interest to engage firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. ‘Grand Curriculum Designs’ a pioneering new CPD programme for schools and teachers who wish to engage in broader curriculum design processes. This is delivered as a partnership between the RSA and the Institute of Education, with funding from the NAHT, OCR and the Esmee Fairbairn Foundation. OM will be a key feature in this programme, although participating teachers will be exposed to a number of different approaches, and would not necessarily implement OM in their schools…
Register your interest - We are now seeking ambitious educators who would like to sign up for our upcoming national Grand Curriculum Designs programme starting in September 2013. To register your interest, please email email@example.com
3. and the OM online toolkit, will be used to support both programmes, but also available to schools and teachers who wish to understand OM fully, and may wish to ‘go it alone’ in developing OM in their schools. This will be developed through a partnership between OM training schools and a consultant and will be available at the end of June 2013. Contact us if you are interested in learning more about the toolkit.
In light of these changes we have decided to close the accreditation scheme to new schools but are continuing to support those who are still on their accreditation journey whom we hope will also continue to engage with use through our new programmes.
If you would like further information on any of these new developments please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subjects and skills? How can we best support young people for the challenges ahead?
March 2nd, 2012 at the Institute of Education
For a full conference brochure please contact email@example.com
Tickets cost £150. To book a ticket click here http://wwwrsaopeningmindsconference2012.eventbrite.com/
This conference is for schools interested in, new to and already practising Opening Minds.
- Inspirational keynote speakers
- Head teachers discussing the impacts of Opening Minds
- Lead practitioners sharing learning and best practice
- Students talking about the impacts Opening Minds has had for their learning
- A choice of nine interactive workshops
- A marketplace of exhibitors
An introduction to implementing an RSA Opening Minds curriculum
An exciting one day course designed for schools new to or interested in RSA Opening Minds will be held on December 1st, 2011.
RSA Opening Minds promotes innovative and integrated ways of thinking about teaching and learning. It helps students to develop the skills they need to be effective learners, citizens and employees in the 21st century.
Schools involved in Opening Minds have led the way in showing how an imaginative competence-based curriculum can meet the needs of their school, engage learners and excite staff.
The course will be held at one of the designated RSA Opening Minds Training Schools – Whitley Academy, Coventry.
The course will allow attendees to:
- Find out about the RSA Opening Minds competence framework
- Experience an RSA Opening Minds lesson
- Learn how to develop and implement an Opening Minds curriculum
- Design an effective RSA Opening Minds lesson plan
- Hear from pupils about their experiences of RSA Opening Minds
- Find out about the new Opening Minds accreditation process
For further details and to book tickets visit http://openingmindstickets.eventbrite.com/
Cost: Tickets cost £180 (no VAT is chargeable). Places are limited so book today!
Information about RSA Opening Minds can be found on our website www.rsaopeningminds.org.uk
Any queries email: firstname.lastname@example.org